We’re rounding up 2019, counting our blessings and successes, and psyched about where we’re going in the next year. We’re feeling deeply grateful, connected, and joyful for what is, and what we’re going to accomplish in 2020.
We enjoyed celebrating the holidays with our families. Taking time off to rest and restore is important to our team, and we’ll be off the first day of the year to set the tone for rejuvenation so we can be our best for each other and our community.
We’ve grown our team, starting the year with our owners, Jeremy & McKenzie, and two part-time colleagues, Linda and Ashley. Talia joined us in January, Linda retired in February, and we hired Kaisa in November. We’re ending the year with five full-time agents focused on home and auto bundles, life insurance, and coverage for investment property owners. We’ve refined our internal systems to improve our efficiency and accuracy, and we’re tapping into our individual strengths so we can have even more fun at work, and maximize our potential to help more people and enjoy our work.
There are many benefits of being part of the Shine team. This year we’re honored to add paid parental leave and matching retirement contributions, and that has been one of the biggest accomplishments of our 6 years in business. We set out to create a workspace where people could enjoy being supported as whole, well-rounded humans with fulfilling lives outside of the office, and we believe its healing to our society when families are supported, especially women and children.
- We created the Shine Insurance Podcast Studio at Dimension Mill for all members of The Mill, offering free weekly trainings and ongoing support for some of the best new podcasts of the year like Music Tectonics podcast, which launched the Music Tectonics Conference.
- We spoke at the Insurance Innovation Conference, the Flyover Podcast Festival, and Be Golden Empowerment Conference.
- We earned the Partner of the Year award from The Mill.
- We joined a mastermind of other successful entrepreneurs. We’re already seeing new perspectives and applying what we’re learning so we can level up in a big way as we maintain and grow our healthy, vibrant team.
- We’re thrilled to support our colleagues in lifelong learning and leadership opportunities. Ashley is participating in Leadership Bloomington, and Kaisa is part of Hoosier Women Forward and completing her Masters degree at Indiana University.
We’ve given over $22,000 through our Giving Back program, and we continue to partner with local organizations to provide financial support. We were able to secure an additional $5000 for the Monroe County Humane Association from one of our insurance companies, Secura Mutual Insurance. That was a huge surprise bonus at the end of the year. Our community service work has included over 130 hours of paid, volunteer time ranging from delivering for Meals on Wheels to dog therapy at Jill’s House. We’ll focus efforts in 2020 on helping people who are experiencing homelessness, closing the agency for half a day each month to volunteer as a team and committing to monthly donations. We’re proud to partner with New Hope – The Nest, Shalom Community Center, and Stepping Stones.
We’ve helped our clients navigate over 320 claims, from fender benders to houses completely destroyed by fire. Our clients have told us they feel so relieved to call Shine when things are the worst, knowing we’re here to help them every step of the way is very comforting. We’ve even had a couple of our own fender benders this year. Parking can be challenging! But we bring the confidence our clients need when they’re suffering, and we look forward to all the new relationships to come.
We’re looking forward to 2020 with a mission to help twice as many people feel confident with their insurance through our Simple – Smart – Shine process. The more people we help, the more we can Give Back, making our whole community stronger. We’re also excited to develop a society for insurance agencies like ours, helping propel our industry in modern, progressive ways for the benefit of all people.
Thank you for your support, and please share our name with those you love.