Welcome to the Managing CRE Risk podcast with Jeremy Goodrich. Today, we dive into our 4 quadrants of risk and specifically the last quadrant – systems risk. Our guest is John Casmon, who knows a lot about marketing, sales, and delivery. In this conversation, we talk about how to create the right foundation for your CRE business, build a healthy successful company, and find your “Why”.
Learn more about John and his story at shineinsurance.com/managing-commercial-real-estate-risk!
“More than 50% of Americans who make six figures or more live check to check.”
John spent 15 years in corporate America doing advertising and marketing for big brands such as Nike, Coors Light, Mountain Dew, and General Motors. However, he didn’t just want to rely on a W-2 job, so to create multiple income streams, he started investing in real estate.
John started with small multifamily investments of 2-4 doors and scaled up over time to larger deals of hundreds of units.
“We’re facing record-breaking inflation. You want to have your money parked in income-producing, appreciating assets, like real estate.”
John shares the best 3 ways to get into multifamily as an average working professional:
- House hacking. Buy a 2-4 unit property, live in one unit, and rent out the others.
- Joint venture. If you don’t have a lot of time or experience, partner up with somebody who has those.
- Invest in syndications. If you have more capital and want to be a passive investor, invest in larger deals through syndication.
When you decide to work towards financial freedom through real estate, figure out your “Why”. Ask yourself what motivates you the most. Your goals, desires, fears, or frustrations.
“We do business with people who we know, like, and trust, so you have to develop that relationship if you want people to do business with you.”
John is an expert in building real estate systems like marketing, sales, and delivery. He shares the biggest mistakes he sees people make in these areas.
- Not thinking about the service that you’re providing as a service. Take your time to understand your clients and the problems you’re solving for people.
- Trying to have a product or service for everybody. Focus on your specific customer avatar.
- Not keeping track of your connections. Make sure to have a CRM in place, so you can reach out to the people you meet. Always focus on adding value while you’re building your marketing funnel.
About our Guest, John Casmon
John Casmon launched Casmon Capital Group to help busy professionals invest in real estate without taking on a second job. We’ve helped families invest in close to $90M in multifamily apartments to create passive income, reduce their tax obligation, and foster generational wealth. John hosts the Target Market Insights: Multifamily + Marketing podcast. In addition, he is the co-founder of the Midwest Real Estate Networking Summit. As a former marketing executive, John oversaw marketing campaigns for General Motors, PepsiCo, and MillerCoors.
Mentioned in the show:
- His LinkedIn
- Jeremy’s LinkedIn
Need an instant insurance ballpark for your next Multifamily deal?! Answer 9 simple questions and we’ll give you a sense of what insurance should be. Visit us here for everything you need to know: https://www.shineinsurance.com/ballpark/
Special thanks to John Casmon for taking the time to share so many great insights with us
If you enjoyed this podcast, there’s a couple of things we need you to do right now:
- SUBSCRIBE to Managing Commercial Real Estate Risk on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts
- While you there, please RATE & REVIEW the show
- SHARE with friends
- Finally, please, JOIN the Managing Commercial Real Estate Risk Facebook Group
Then, please share the show with whoever you think it will inspire.
Until the next time, We truly appreciate you listening.
Need the CRE Insurance Guy?
More great stories & information at:
If you enjoyed this episode, then you’ll love these ones: