Welcome to the Managing CRE Risk podcast with Jeremy Goodrich. Our guest today is the Land Geek, Mark Podolsky, author, and podcast host. Mark picked up more than 6000 raw pieces of land during his 20 years in the business, and he shares with us his simple process step-by-step. We learn about how to start in this asset class and how to mitigate the risk of land investing.
Learn more about Mark and his story at shineinsurance.com/managing-commercial-real-estate-risk!
“This model is so simple that if the podcast listeners are driving they might fall asleep.”
Mark is the owner of Frontier Properties, a land investment company. He’s been in the business for over 20 years now.
Mark has a simple process for how he picks up raw land and he shares it step-by-step.
- He picks up raw land from owners who are in a distressed scenario. He takes the land off of their hand, solving their problem.
- He then tries to sell the land to the neighbors at a discounted price.
- This creates a passive income for him for years.
Mark’s advice on how to start a land business.
- Know where other land investors are buying land.
- Figure out your budget and pick your market.
- Start mailing out offers to property owners. A good place to create a list is datatree.com.
- Create a pricing matrix.
- Automate your processes.
“At some point, too little money in this niche is a problem. But too much money in this niche is also a problem.”
Mark talks about how land investment can be a good passive income stream. It’s a very accessible asset class and can add passive income to any size of real estate portfolio.
Mark’s purpose in life is to solve people’s money and time problems and help with self-actualization. That’s what motivates him every day
About our guest, Mark Podolsky
Mark is the owner of Frontier Properties, a land investment company. Mark (AKA The Land Geek) is widely considered the Country’s most trusted and foremost authority on buying and selling raw, undeveloped land within the United States.
Since 2001 Mark has completed over 6,000 raw land deals with an average return on investment of over 300% on cash purchases and over 1000% on land deals that he financed.
Mark is the host of one of the top-rated podcasts in the Investing Category on iTunes aptly titled The Art of Passive Income Model.
Mentioned in the show:
- His LinkedIn
- Jeremy’s LinkedIn
Need an instant insurance ballpark for your next Multifamily deal?! Answer 9 simple questions and we’ll give you a sense of what insurance should be. Visit us here for everything you need to know: https://www.shineinsurance.com/ballpark/
Special thanks to Mark Podolsky for taking the time to share so many great insights with us
If you enjoyed this podcast, there’s a couple of things we need you to do right now:
- SUBSCRIBE to Managing Commercial Real Estate Risk on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts
- While you there, please RATE & REVIEW the show
- SHARE with friends
- Finally, please, JOIN the Managing Commercial Real Estate Risk Facebook Group
Then, please share the show with whoever you think it will inspire.
Until the next time, We truly appreciate you listening.
Need the CRE Insurance Guy?
More great stories & information at:
If you enjoyed this episode, then you’ll love these ones: