Our guest today is Allison Weiss, a commercial real estate recruiter. In this episode, we talk about building your team, how to work on your business instead of in your business, and how to find great people for your CRE team. If you’re ready to put down a solid foundation for your business and scale, then this episode is for you! Learn more about Allison and her journey at reiclarity.com!
“I certainly bring my creativity to what I do every single day.”
Alison started her career as an art teacher. After 9/11, art was the one thing that helped her cope with the situation and made her realize how art can help other people too. She says that both art and teaching shaped her view on commercial real estate investing.
Now she is bringing people into the commercial real estate space. She grew up in an environment where she could learn a lot about how businesses function and this led her to eventually choose commercial real estate. She works with boutique and entrepreneurial firms that have greater aspirations for growth.
“Think about what are the things that really fit into your zone of genius”
Allison’s advice on some of the first steps someone can take towards building a strong business foundation:
- Write down all the business processes and daily tasks for your business.
- Then take a step back and think about which things on the list fit into your zone of genius.
- Try to spend 80% of your time with the things that are in your zone of genius.
- Then tackle the tasks you dislike the most through outsourcing or automation.
Allison also talks about the next step which is ow to build your core team:
- Identify the different parts of your business and build systematic workflows to the best of your ability.
- Evaluate them often to see where the bottlenecks are. Is it the systems that you have in place, is it the people, or is it the bandwidth that’s creating the bottleneck?
- Aim to work on your business and not in your business.
“I think sometimes we unnecessarily complicate things.”
Allison has some great advice on how to work towards the goal of working on your business instead of in your business:
- Have discipline in creating habits and frameworks that you use to approach your day
- Focus on the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours of the day.
- Have non-negotiables in your life
- Create boundaries around when you do certain things
If these are too overwhelming for you, Allison recommends choosing just 1 thing and try to implement that. Once it becomes a routine for you, you can move on to the next thing.
According to Allison, she is not a traditional recruiter but more of a matchmaker for CRE businesses. She believes that if companies put their people first, the property aspect of the business takes care of itself. She wants to make commercial real estate a great place for everyone and to foster alignment between CRE companies and their employees.
“The biggest difference for me and in my career are introspection and execution.”
At the end of the episode, Allison picks an action step from the REI Clarity Framework that is the most valuable for her. This is the “Forecast Your Future.”
Forecasting her future means introspection and execution for Allison. She spends a lot of time envisioning how she wants her life to look like from both a business and a personal standpoint.
She recommends finding your endpoint, visualizing your endpoint, and then creating steps towards it.
Mentioned in the show:
- Her LinkedIn
Learn how to grow your portfolio and reach incredible success the right way! Visit us here for everything you need to know: www.shineinsurance.com/reiclarity.
Special thanks to Allison Weiss for taking the time to share so many great insights with us
If you enjoyed this podcast, there’s a couple of things we need you to do right now:
- SUBSCRIBE to REI Clarity on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts
- While your there, please RATE & REVIEW the show
- SHARE with friends
- Finally, please, JOIN the REI Clarity Facebook Group
Then, please share the show with whoever you think it will inspire.
Until the next time, We truly appreciate you listening.
Need the REI Insurance Guy?
More great stories & information at:
Youtube – Blog – Podcast
Facebook – Twitter
Show produced by Eni Horvath