Personal Insurance

We are Family

There are many kinds of personal insurance policies.  Coverage for homeowners, renters, cars, trucks, boats, jewelry, instruments, art and all kinds of other things is available.  To keep it simple, we’ll stick with the basics: Home and Auto


Your homeowner’s policy should cover:

Your Dwelling
Coverage for damage to the actual structure of your house is the staple of homeowner’s insurance.
Your Other Structures
 Structures on your property that are not attached to your house aren’t covered as part of the dwelling.  They have their own separate coverage.  Make sure it’s enough.
 Your Personal Property
 All of your stuff.  From clothes to couches, tables to tambourines your policy should replace the items damaged or destroyed in a covered loss.  Be careful though, some items (like jewelry) have limited amounts of coverage.
Loss of Use
When damage happens to your home, it needs to be fixed.  That takes time and you may have to find other living arrangements.  Your homeowner’s policy should have coverage for that expense.
Hopefully your dog never bites the mailman.  But if someone is hurt by you, your property, or your rascally rabbit your policy should have coverage to protect you.



The first step to understanding your auto insurance is knowing whether you live in an At Fault State or a No Fault State.

Figure that out here:

Your auto insurance policy should cover:

Bodily Injury Liability
Liability Coverage is the most important part of your auto policy.  Why?  Well, you travel around in a huge metal bullet just inches from strangers.  Make contact and you’re their worst enemy.  Hurting other people’s bodies is much more likely in your car than your house and that’s why auto liability coverage is required by law.
Property Damage Liability
 While an accident may or may not hurt a person, it will almost always hurt whatever was hit.  When that’s someone else’s property this part of your policy covers.  “No Fault” states complicate this, but liability coverage is important no matter how your state insurance laws are set up.
 Un/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
 Some people break the law.  Others just carry to lowest possible liability limits required by law.  So when those people run into you, it’s a bummer.  Fortunately, your Un/Underinsured motorist coverage is there to protect you.
This is what folks call “Full Coverage”.  Really, these two items are all about coverage for your car.  Comprehensive (sometimes called “Other than Collision”) refers to damage that is not the result of a traditional car accident.  Tree limbs falling, garage fires, and impact with an animal fit this category.  Collision is a regular old accident.  Both have deductibles that you pay before coverage kicks in.
Rental Reimbursement
Coverage for a rental while your car is being fixed.  This only applies if the damage to your car is from a covered accident.
Roadside Assistance
More and more companies are offering this service as a part of your auto insurance policy


Your personal umbrella’s policy should cover:

Above and Beyond the Liability portion of both your homeowner’s insurance and your auto insurance.  Generally, the least expensive personal umbrella policy adds $1,000,000 of liability coverage.  It goes up from there.  Here’s a video that will explain this coverage in detail:

This is a brief overview of the coverage that most policies should have and is not meant to be a comprehensive description.  Your trusted agent will help you with that.


Top 2 tips beyond the coverage:
  1. Do NOT shop by price alone. Families who focus purely on price often find the worst service and catastrophic claims experiences.
  2. Trust your gut and find an agent with integrity.  Your insurance agent is one of the key financial and risk advisers on your team, choose this relationship wisely.

Let us know how we can help. Click here to contact us.


Finally, do your friends a favor and share this little morsel of Personal Insurance knowledge.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *