HOW TO AVOID A DRYER FIRE
FACT: The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is failure to clean them.*www.nfpa.org
- Clean your dryer lint trap before and after each use.
- Never use a dryer without a lint trap made for that specific dryer.
- Have dryer professionally installed and serviced.
- Gas dryers should be inspected every 2 years by a professional to ensure no leaks.
- Dryer MUST be plugged into proper outlet, not an extension cord, adapter or power surge protector.
- Turn the dryer off when you leave home or go to bed. This is HUGE. Especially if you have pets or children.
- Do not overload your dryer.
- Check the outdoor vent to be sure it’s clear of mulch, snow, debris.
- Keep the area around and on top of the dryer clear of anything flammable.
- Clothes that have come in contact with flammable substances should be laid outside to dry, then can be washed and dried as usual.
Don’t let this happen to you: What’s Building Up in Your Dryer that can Cause a Fire?
Click here for a step-by-step guide to clean your dryer vent inside and outside your home, or hire a local professional to take care of it for you.